- Helder B. Berto
In this article, I will share some of the thoughts I keep in mind to create a better README for my projects.
Simple structure for a README file
- Functionality gist + a demo if applicable into a REPL like (Codesandbox).
- How to install.
- How to contribute.
- Clearly defined public API.
- Turn your project more discoverable (Github, NPM).
Make your user experience easier to contribute
- Concise issue templates with clear points that will help to debug and understand issues.
- Clear pull-requests templates to users identify if everything is well to open the MR.
- Leverage your Github templates overall it will turn your life and the contributors easier.
Improve the project quality
- Github actions for linting, tests & conventions checks.
- Use commit linters to keep the consistency of the commit messages.